Information for the pharmacist:
2.It is important not to take more medication than the amount prescribed
because of habit forming potential.
3.It is important not to increase the dose of medication, if the given dose
is less effective alter a few weeks. Doctor should be consulted.
4.Missed dose: If a patient is on a scheduled dosing regimen, and misses
a dose, then,
If remembered within an hour so, the dose may be taken right away.
If remembered later than an hour, the dose should not be taken at all.
The dose should not be doubled.
Precautions while using this medicine:
1. Caution in taking alcohol or other CNS depressants during therapy.
2. Suspected overdose, getting emergency help at once.
3. Caution if drowsiness, dizziness, light headedness, or clumsiness or
unsteadiness occurs, especially m the elderly.
Information for the patient:
I Take the medicine about half an hour before you want to sleep, then go to bed.
2.Do not take drinks with caffeine before going to bed, as they may keep you awake.
3.Do not take more medicine than what is prescribed to you.
4.Maximum effectiveness of medication may not occur for 2 or 3 nights after initiating therapy.
5.Keep this medicine out of reach of children, overdose is especially dangerous in children.
6.Be careful if you have to get up in the night, as you may feel very sleepy. If you still feel drowsy in the morning do not drive.
7.You should not drink alcohol. Even during the day, while taking this medicine.
1. Advice for the patient: Drug information in lay language; USP DI; 1995,15th edition; pg nos: 389-396.
2. http://www.rxlist.com/xanax-drug.htm [Accessed on 27th August 2010]
3. http://www.medicineonline.com/drugs/a/2981/Alprazolam-Tablets-USP-CIV.html [Accessed on 27th August 2010]