When to Seek Medical Attention for Hiccups ????
A person should consult a doctor if the hiccups become chronic and also persistent (if they are observed for more than three hours), or if they affect sleeping patterns or interfere with diet.
(1) Hiccups is rarely a medical emergency. If hiccups are observed for more than three hours, occur with severe symptoms like abdominal pain,fever,shortness of breath, vomiting,spitting up blood, or feeling as if the throat is going to close up, the person should go for medical attention. .
(1) Treatment of Hiccups "Drinking water is an indirect way to control your breathing pattern, thus helpsyou to control the hiccups." .
(2) Hiccups Home Treatment Many home remedies for hiccups exist. The reason behind these remedies is that carbon dioxide build-up in blood will stop hiccups, which happens when a person holds their breath. If the vagus nerve that connects from brain to stomach is stimulated,hiccups can also be reduced(this is what happens when a person drinks water or pulls on their tongue).
(2) Methods at home:(2) *Hold your breath. *Drink a glass of water fast at once. *Let someone frighten you (or better, surprise) the person *Use smelling salts. *Have the person pull hard on their tongue. *Take one-half teaspoon of dry sugar on back of the tonguE. Generally corn syrup is used in children. Medical treatment: Treatment for hiccups depends on the severity *For common hiccups that will usually stop on their own, home remedies are mostly recommended. .
(3) *For more severe, or persistent hiccups, * Chlorpromazine is highly recommended *baclofen (Lioresal) and medications for fits like phenytoin (Dilantin) have also been found successful. *Finally Surgery to disable the phrenic nerve (the nerve that controls the diaphragm) is recommended the treatment of last resort. (3) Herbal treatment: Black Pepper (or Piper nigrum)Inhaling of black pepper powder can cause a person to sneeze. Sneezing is a violent movement of respiratory tract. So, it can put an end to hiccups..(4) Cardamom (Elattaria cardamomum) Cardamom is another spice that is used for the treatment of hiccups Mustard (Brassica junpea) Due to its strong taste, mustard has the capacity to stimulate nerves in the throat region. .(4) Effects of hiccups on body systems Respiratory systems: Hiccups are a symptom of your diaphragm spasms - this may be due to your breath caught. It will interrupt your breathing periodically during these spasms since the diaphragm helps to control your breathing. (5) Medical conditions that causes hiccups(5) Nerve Damage Metabolic Disorder Central Nervous System Anxiety complications(6) Prolonged hiccups may interfere with Speech Eating Sleeping Post-surgical wound healing Surgical complications
: 1.http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hiccups/page4_em.htm#when_to_seek_medical... 2.http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hiccups/page6_em.htm#hiccups_treatment 3.http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hiccups/page7_em.htm#hiccups_medical_trea... 4.http://www.livestrong.com/article/159452-herbal-treatments-for-hiccups/ 5.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiccups/DS00975/DSECTION=causes 6.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiccups/DS00975/DSECTION=complications "THIS BLOG IS FREE FROM PLAGIARISM" M.SANDHYASRAVYA@GMAIL.COM