Review of top ten pharmaceutical Industries in the United Kingdom (UK)
Pharmaceutical companies in the UK employ more than 72,000 people. In 2007, pharmaceutical industry chipped in PS8.4 billion to the United Kingdom's GDP. Here are the top ten pharmaceutical companies in the UK.
1. Pfizer: It is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies, not only in the UK, but throughout
the globe. In the United Kingdom, Pfizer's business headquarters is situated at Surrey. This pharmaceutical company is more than 150 years old and it has been working consistently to bring about a difference in the lives of people. Pfizer aims at improving the health of individuals by pioneering new techniques of drug manufacture and has been declared as the world's fifth largest research based pharmaceutical firm. Majority of the most popular consumer healthcare products in the world are manufactured by Pfizer.
2. GlaxoSmithKline: It is a UK based pharmaceutical company founded in the year 2000. Glaxo SmithKline was formed as a result of the merger between SmithKline Beecham and Glaxo Wellcome. This pharmaceutical company aims at developing medicines, vaccines and healthcare products for improving the health of people so that they can lead a healthy life. This consumer healthcare giant is headquartered in London's Brentford city. Glaxo SmithKlinehas been recently ranked as the sixth largest pharmaceutical company in the world.
Glaxo SmithKline manufactures vaccines and drugs for diseases such as cancer, asthma, diabetes, digestive ailments, mental diseases, infections, etc, besides selling nutritional and oral healthcare products and health drinks such as Horlicks and Boost. In 2013, the vaccines and drugs developed by Glaxo SmithKline generated PS21.3 billion
3. AstraZeneca: This is a multinational British-Swedish pharmaceutical company which the seventh largest pharmaceutical company in the word. AstraZeneca was established in the year 1999 and has its headquarters in London, United Kingdom. This company was formed after the merger of UK's Zeneca Group and Sweden's Astra AB. It has operations in more than 100 countries. This pharmaceutical company develops drugs for various major diseases including respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, gastrointestinal infections, and much more.
4. Novartis UK: Novartis, founded in the year 1996, is another multinational pharmaceutical company known for its diverse healthcare portfolio. This pharmaceutical company was formed as a result of the merger between Sandoz and Ciba-Geigy. Novartis specializes in eye-care, precautionary vaccines, general pharmaceuticals, as well as animal healthcare products. In the UK, Novartis has utilized digitization of healthcare in the best possible way by developing several online forums and mobile apps to assist patients in managing their health in a special way. This pharmaceutical company aims at discovering and developing innovative drugs and vaccines for preventing as well as treating different diseases, besides ensuring that patients can reap the benefits of the medicines developed by them as quickly as possible. Novartis has been honoured with several prestigious awards for making commendable progress in healthcare research and development in the field of pharmaceuticals.
5. Abbot Laboratories: Abbot Laboratories is the premier healthcare company in the UK. This global pharmaceutical company aims at discovering, developing, and promoting drugs, vaccines, nutritional products, and therapeutic products, so that people can lead a healthy and disease-free life. Abbot Laboratories focus on various therapy areas, such as diabetes care, medical optics, pharmaceuticals, animal health products, vascular products, and much more.
In the UK, Abbot Laboratories has been operating for approximately 75 years. It is headquartered in UK's Maidenhead, in Berkshire. Besides this, Abbot also has operations in various other locations in the UK.
6. Bausch and Lomb: This is yet another top pharmaceutical company in the UK that is driven by innovation, craftsmanship, and quality. In the UK, Bausch and Lomb is headquartered in Surrey KT2 6TN. This pharmaceutical company aims at introducing a significant difference in the healthcare industry with the help of discovery, development, and promotion of prescription Drugs.
7. Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals Limited: This global biopharmaceutical company is a subsidiary of Bristol-Myers Squib Company. Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals, also known as BMS, was founded in the UK in the year 1990, and is situated in Uxbridge, United Kingdom. This company emphasizes on discovering, developing, and marketing innovative drugs to help patients fight major diseases, such as cancer, hepatitis B, heart ailments, HIV, AIDS, psychiatric disorders, and rheumatoid arthritis. In last ten years, Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals has delivered fourteen innovative medicines to patients. This biopharmaceutical company aims at making a difference in the lives of people with their medical innovation.
8. Bayer: Bayer, the global enterprise, is one of the most reputable pharmaceutical companies in the UK. It is the subsidiary of Germany-based Bayer AG. This pharmaceutical company focuses on healthcare, crop science and material science, and has a yearly turnover of more than 39 billion euros. Bayer aims at designing its products and services to benefit the society so that people can enhance the quality of their life. Bayer's contribution in preventing and curing serious diseases is highly commendable. Bayer is headquartered in Newbury, West Berkshire, UK.
9. Novo Nordisk: This pharmaceutical company was formed in the year 1989. Novo Nordiskis the leading name in diabetes care, hormone replacement therapy, haemophilia care, and growth hormone therapy. Novo Nordisk has been operating in the United Kingdom for more than 25 years.
10. Servier: Servier is known for developing innovative drugs so as to assist people in improving the quality of their life. This pharmaceutical company focuses on heart ailments, high blood pressure, stroke, oncology, mental health conditions, metabolic diseases, and osteoporosis. Servier is headquartered at Wexham, Slough, Berkshire, UK.