PROF. R.N. CHOPRA
Birth and Education:
* Born on Aug.17, 1882 at Gujranwala, Punjab, did his schooling at J&K and college at Lahore in Government college.
* In 1903, joined in College Cambridge and in 1905, joined in BA- Natural sciences Tripos Studied at Bartholomew's Hospital in London. In 1908, completed for Indian Medical service successfully.
* Degrees he got: Cambridge M.B, M.D, London M.R.C.P
* Foundation fellow & President of National Institute of sciences.
* In medical service for 10 years.
* In 1921, as Ist professor of Pharmacology in Calcutta school of Tropical Medicine for 20 years.
* Professor of Pharmacology in Calcutta Medical College.
* Headed Drugs Enquiry committee at Calcutta school of tropical Medicine.
* Worked as Director of the school for 7 years.
* Director of Medical services and Research at J & K.
* Director of Drug Research Laboratory.
* Established a Chopra Committee.
* Directed Bengal Pharmaceutical Association.
* Vice- President of Bengal Asiatic society in 1939.
STRENGTH AND INTEREST:
* His major work strength was experimental Pharmacology.
* His interest was in Drug Analysis, so did surveys on drug addiction.
* Established a centre of study & Research in Pharmacology at Calcutta school of Tropical Medicine.
* The research he had done on chemical, Pharmacological & Therapeutic basis for some drugs, stated that they should be included in the pharmacopoeia. Ex: Isphagula, kurchi, Rawolffia, psuralea, cobra venom etc.
* Some drugs become official in Indian Pharmacopoeial List of 1946 and IP of 1955.
* Did extensive work on Rauwolfia serpentina which is a source of rescrpine.
* In 1933, Its alkaloid was proved to have CNS depressant properties and lowers blood pressure. Pharmacy Act 1948 was legislated due to the recommendation from chopras committee. * All Bengal Pharmaceutial Association on his advice.
* 'Indigenous Drugs of India'
* Glossary of Medicinal Plants of India,
* Poisonous Plants of India.
* Held the rank of Major in IMS in 1921.
* Lieutenant-colonel in 1927.
* CIE Award in January 1934.
* Honorary physician and Brevet Rank of Colonel to the king in 1935.
* Fellow of Bengal Asiatic society in 1933. * Got Barclay Medal from the society.
* Minto Medal, Mouatt medal, coatos medal from Calcutta school and University.
* Did Degree from Cambridge University for his contributions to medicine.
* Fellow of Royal college of Physicians of London.
* Working honorary members of American society for Pharmacology Experimental Therapeutics and Pharmaceutical society of Great Britain.
* Corresponding member of Belgium Society of Tropical Medicine working.
* Knighthood in 1941.
* Working -President of Indian science congress in 1948. Sectional President of Physiology & Medical science of congress. Honorary member of IPA
* Dr. E.R. Squibb Award by IPA.
* This great man expired on June 13th, 1973 at Srinagar, Kashmir in his home leaving the world in darkness but the fields of science, medicine and pharmacy were given a shape and identity. Lets all pay tribute to him by taking Pharmacy profession the height no one can imagine.
"This blog doesn't contain any plagiarized material"
Mrs. Roja Rani