AVENUES FOR RESEARCH SCHEMES FOR WOMEN SCIENTISTS
- Post graduate scholarships
- Swarnajayanti Fellowships Scheme
- International Travel Support Scheme
- Unesco-L'oreal Fellowships Scheme
- Karnataka State Wakf Foundation for Women Development Karnataka Wakf Council
- Pragathi Scholarship Scheme by AICTE
- Post Doctoral Fellowship to Women Candidates
- L'oreal India for Young Women in Science Scholarship Programme, India
Women in Science- Facts
- Women employed in
- DST, DBT, CSIR,
- ICAR, ICMR,
- DAE, DOD,
- Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore,
- Hyderabad University, Hyderabad and JNTU.
- DBT and ICMR are the best employers of women.
- Representation of women in other organizations is less than 15% both at scientific and technical levels.
- Achievements and recognition: Women seldom receive awards open to both the sexes.
- Maximum recognition for women is in the field of medicine.
- In the five years of 1999-2003, not a single woman has received the Bhatnagar award.(BAL 2004)
Schemes available for Women
AICTE : Research and Development, three schemes;
Research Promotion Schemes:
- To attract highly qualified and motivated candidates to pursue doctoral degree and offer themselves for teaching position in the Technical Education system.
- To provide research support to bright young candidates for pursuing exciting and innovative research in the field of Technical Education.
Details of scheme
- Scholarship @ Rs.12,000/- per month per candidate.
- Contingency grant of Rs.25,000/- per annum per candidate.
- Overhead charges of Rs.20,000/- per annum per candidate to the host institution i.e.Institution where the candidate will be pursuing Ph.D./Doctoral Programme.
Schemes in Entrepreneurship and development centre
- Entrepreneurship and development centre
- Technical education for women, handicapped and weaker sections of society
- Scheme on Tuition Fee Waiver scheme for Women, Economically Backward and
- Physically Handicapped Meritorious Students'
- Post graduate scholarship:
- Under this scheme scholarships are provided to GATE qualified ME/ M.Tech. students and grants are released to a selected number of institutes towards expenditure on the sanctioned faculty including regular and visiting
- Industry Institute Partnerships Program
- JRF, SRF, RA, Senior Research Associate ship (SRA), Research Schemes, Sponsored Research Schemes
Scheme in National Technical Manpower Information System
National Technical Manpower Information System
- Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme of Government of India (TEQIP) is being implemented as a World Bank assisted Project to improve the quality of technical education system in the country.
TEQIP Phase-I has the following Objectives:
(a) Promotion of Academic Excellence
(b) Networking of Institutions for quality enhancement and resource sharing
(c) Enhancing quality and reach of services to Community and Economy
(d) System Management Capacity Improvement.
- Central Sector schemes , Centrally Sponsored Schemes, Financial Sanctions, Extramural Research
Defence Research and Development Organization:
- Grants are offered to IITs, universities, colleges, departments, laboratories approved research Institutes, eminent scientists working in reputed industrial / firms (nonprofit earning) with well established R&D facilities, Government and non-Government sector etc.
Eligible institutes/ candidates should submit project proposals to the following address in the prescribed format available free of cost at the website: http://drdo.gov.in/boards/lsrb/fplsrb.htm. The proposals would be considered twice in a year i.e. April and October each year
Department of Biotechnology
- SBIRI- Small Business Innovation Research Initiative (A Public PrivatePartnership Scheme)
- Application should be made by a private industry.
- Application can be made in collaboration with another private industry or public partner.
- Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Programme (BIRAP)
- Biotechnology Industry Partnership Programme (BIPP)
- Biocare programme and awards for women scientists
Schemes under Biocare programme:
- Scheme I : Research grant opportunity for unemployed women scientists---35 000 Rs.- 45 000Rs. per month
- Employed women--- 5000 Rs per month
- Scheme II: Career Reorientation Fellowship (CRF)
- Training for 3 to 12 months
- Stipend 25 000 Rs per month
- Employed scientists- Rs 5000 as incentive
- These schemes are not in operation now.
BHABHA Atomic Research Center
- Dr. K.S. Krishnan Research Associate-ship Programme (KSKRA)
- About 20 researchers are absorbed every year under this scheme
- The scheme awards a stipend of Rs.20,000/- + benefits for a maximum period of 2 years.
- The Associate-ship is available in broad disciplines of Engineering, Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Bio Sciences.
Department of Science and Technology
- Scholarship for Research in Basic/Applied Science (WOS-A) (Women only):
- Granting agency: Science and Engineering Research Council, Department of Science and Technology
Address: Department of Science & Technology, Technology ,Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi - 110016 http://dst.gov.in/scientific-programme/women-scientists-a.htm
Deadline: Applications accepted throughout the year
Duration: Three years
Support: A monthly stipend of Rs.20, 000 and equipment/consumable grant up to a maximum of Rs.17 Lakhs.
- This scholarship is aimed at facilitating re-entry into research of women who do not hold a regular position and whose careers have been disrupted for various reasons.
- The scholarship is open to women in the age group 30-50 years and can be held at any science and technology organization in India. Successful applicants can apply for additional extramural funds.
Scholarship for Research in S&T-based Societal Programs (WOS-B) (Women only):
Granting agency:Science and Engineering Research Council, Department of Science and Technology, India
The objective of this scholarship is to create a large pool of trained women workforce with experience in the diverse areas mentioned above and building up a professional network.
Address: Department of Science & Technology, Technology Bhavan,
New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi 110016
Deadline: Applications accepted throughout the year
Duration: Three years
Support:A Monthly stipend of Rs.15,000 and equipment/consumable grant up to a maximum of Rs.15 Lakhs.
The scholarship is intended to encourage women engaged in research to apply innovative, scientific and technological ideas for the betterment of society and capacity
building of such programs at the grass root level.
WOS-C: This category is mainly focused to provide an opportunity to women scientists for self-employment by utilizing their specialized domain knowledge in areas such as patenting, proof reading, science journalism, technical translation, clinical pathology labs,medical transcription etc.
- The assistance is provided by way of grants to scientists in regular employment in the Universities, medical colleges, postgraduate institutions, recognized research anddevelopment laboratories and NGOs.
- Financial ceiling:Financial ceiling is up to Rs.30 Lakhs for the total duration of the project.
- Items not allowed: Basic infrastructure, building, foreign travel etc.
- MHRD/UGC Empowered Committee Initiative on "Start-UP Grant for Newly Recruited Faculty.
- All teachers who are newly appointed at the level of Assistant Professor, against the permanent post in the faculties of Basic Science, Engineering and Technology, following the specified procedure of university will be eligible to receive financial support under the scheme.
- The Assistant Professor should possess Ph.D degree with minimum two research publications in approved / cited journals.
- The Assistant Professor should apply within a period of six months from the date of joining the post in the Department/ University as per the prescribed proforma
- The UGC will provide grant of Rs. 6.00 lakh for items like minor equipment (up to Rs. 1.00 lakhs only), consumables, contingencies and field work
SERC Fast Track Scheme For Young Scientists
- This scheme, the upper limit for duration of the project is 3 years with total cost limited to Rs.17.00 lakhs(excluding Overheads).
- Better Opportunities for Young Scientists in Chosen Areas of Science and Technology (BOYSCAST)
- The scheme provides opportunities to Young Indian Scientists and Technologies (up to the age of 35 years), to interact with international scientist community and institutions and to participate in research and training activities in frontline areas of science and technology.
- The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance for presenting a research paper or chairing a session or delivering a keynote address in an international scientific event conference/seminar/symposium/workshop etc.).
- In addition, support is also provided to young scientists (age limit 35 years as on date of conference) for attending training programmes and short-term schools/ workshops/ courses The S& T Professional Bodies and Academies of Science and Engineering play an important role in creating cohesiveness amongst the scientific community by arranging regular Annual Technical Meetings and Seminars, Conferences, Workshops, etc. and publishing scientific journals, annuals, bulletins etc.
- The duration of the fellowship will be for a period not exceeding five years.
- Eligibility: The applicant should possess Ph.D in Science /Engineering/Medicine.Scientists should be active in the frontier area of science and engineering withoutstanding contributions, (research publications, peer recognition etc.) in his/her area ofresearch.
- Nature of Support:The support will cover all the requirements for performing the research and will include a fellowship of Rs. 25,000/- per month for five years. The fellowship will be provided in addition to the salary they draw from their parent Institution.
The UNESCO-L"OREAL fellowships scheme focuses on UNESCO"s premise that people are the world"s greatest resource and that innovation and excellence, especially among the young women community, deserve to be supported and encouraged through the concerted efforts of the international community.
Level Of Study: PhD and Postdoc
Life Sciences (biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, medicine, pharmacy and physiology) Scholarship Value. The initial fellowship is for a maximum period of 12 months, for a maximum sum of $20,000. The fellowship can be extended for up to 12 additional months with up to $20,000 additional
funding upon request of the Fellow and validation of the Selection Committee.
Karnataka State Wakf Foundation for Women Development Karnataka Wakf Council
Scheme for providing assistance to the Minority Muslim Girl Students of Professional and Post-
Family"s annual income should be upto 2.5 lacs
The girl students will be given a stipend of Rs. 5000/-
Pragathi Scholarship Scheme by AICTE
No. of Scholarships available per annum: 4000 Amount of Scholarship: Rs.30,000/- or tuition fees at actual whichever is less and Rs.2000/- per month for ten months as contingency allowance
Eligibility: One girl per family.
Family income should be less than Rs. 6 lakhs per annum
The UGC has changed the name of the old scheme "Part Time Research Associateship for Women" as "Post Doctoral Fellowship for Women candidates".
Eligibility: The unemployed women candidates holding Ph.D. degree in their respective subject areas with an aim to accelerate the talented instincts of the women candidates to carry out the
advanced studies and research.
Application for Maulana Azad National Scholarship for Girls can be submitted in between 1st July to 30th September every year to the following address:
Social Justice Service Centre, Mahila Imdad Committee, Opposite New Delhi Railway Reservation Centre, Chelmsford Road, New Delhi -110055,Phone/Fax: 011-23583788, 23583789
The Programme was instituted in 2003 and has consistently helped young women to pursue scientific studies. A scholarship of Rs. 250,000/- each is granted to promising but economically
disadvantaged young women and covers college fees for study in any scientific field in a recognized college or university in India.