This is the devices which are used to separate the solids from the liquids such as suspensions by using the gas or air.
This is the separator mainly used for the separation of solids from the liquids. It mainly consists of the tangential inlet to feed the materials inside the chamber.
And it consists of an solids out let and fluid out let, it through the fluid through one side and the separated solids through the other out let.
In the cyclone separator the centrifugal force is used to separate solids from the fluids. The separation depends not only on the particles size but also on the density of the particles.
Hence depending on the fluids velocity the cyclone separator can be used to separate all types of the particles out to remove only the coarse particles and allows fine particles to be carried through with the fluid.
It consists of a cylindrical vessel with the conical base. In the upper part of the vessel is fitted with a tangential inlet and a fluid outlet and at the base it is fitted with the solid outlet.
- The suspensions of a solid gas usually air is introduced tangentially at a very high velocity so that rotary movement takes place within the vessel.
- The fluid is removed from the central out let at the top.
- The rotatory flow within the cyclone separator causes the particles to be acted on by centrifugal force.
- The solids are thrown out to the walls, there after it falls to the conical base and discharged out through solids outlet.
- Cyclone separator is used to separate the suspensions of a solid in a gas or air. It can be used with the liquids suspensions of solids.
- Mehta RM, Pharmaceutics-I: size separation (1996), Page no: 105 - 106.